Tuesday, May 19, 2009

american idol...i think not

So it's been over two months since the last post, and I blame that 100% on grad school. It has been quite a hectic year, and this last term has found me busy. No real life updates (hope to have a job update soon, however), but I did want to pass along a little note.

I went home after an interview for yet another mindless but money-paying job tonight, and since both Jeopardy and King of the Hill were over, my no-cable-paying self was left with either American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, or NOVA on PBS for entertainment while my delicious Totino's pizza to cook. Needless to say, I took the intellectual high ground...

The episode, Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives, was about one Mark Everett, leader of an indie-rock band, and his quest to learn more about his dead, estranged father. The neat part is that his father just happens to be a world-famous (or infamous) physicist who first developed the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. If that sounds like a lot to swallow, just start clicking around wikipedia and your feeble brain will get inundated with confusing thought experiments concerning quantum suicide and theories about infinite alternate universes.

But the documentary was very nicely done. They do a great job weaving together the story of Mark finding his father with a fun and simple yet informative explanation of Hugh Everett's theories, creating...wait for it...parallel stories! Oh, that felt nice. Points for me.

Last, but certainly not least, Mark "E" Everett is a musician...

I don't need to say more, I know, but they played some of his music as cuts during the film, and it didn't sound too shabby. I know I will checking him out (band is The Eels), and you should too. The film is nice too. It won a BAFTA award, so you know it's got something to offer.

Anyways, hope all is well. Spring in Eugene is almost too pretty to bear (I still have to think about which form to use with that word). I saw a raccoon outside McKenzie on my way over.

No comments: